The basic idea of an herbal steam is to directly reach the linings of your respiratory tract with soothing steam to help the direct support of the tissues. You’ll want to use herbs high in volatile oil compounds (strong smell), as these will have the most medicinal effect on the throat and lungs. We suggest steaming in conjunction with taking teas, tinctures or honeys. To learn more about herbal steams, we recommend reading the Herbal Academy’s post!
Meadowsweet’s Herbal Steam Blend contains dried herbs of: Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Thyme, Lavender, Yarrow, Chamomile and Clove. Lavender and chamomile can help soothe irritated and inflamed lining or agitated airways; eucalyptus and peppermint help open up the lungs and lightly expectorate; and thyme, yarrow and clove can help fight potential infection.*
- Scoop 3 tbsp herbal blend into a large bowl.
- Boil enough water to fill the large bowl 2/3 of the way.
- Place bowl on a table that you can comfortably sit at. Fill bowl with hot water and cover with plate to make sure the volatile oils don’t escape.
- Let steep for a minute while it cools slightly. Grab a large towel!
- Add 2 drops essential oil if desired.
- Place your face about 5 inches above the bowl and cover your head AND the bowl with the towel, capturing all the steamy goodness for you to enjoy.
- Take deeeeeep breaths in and out for about 5-10 minutes. Feel free to come out from under the towel for fresh air occasionally, if it gets too hot.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day during the acute smoke to help the inflammation and agitation to your respiratory tract.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not meant to prevent, treat, or cure any disease. This post is intended for educational purposes only.